Kim O’Reilly, Ph.D.
Multicultural Education ♦ Human Rights Advocacy ♦ Diversity and Inclusion Training
Highly accomplished learning specialist with expertise in promoting equity, diversity, inclusion, and multicultural understanding. Skilled in developing and delivering programs to train across cultures and differences.
Expert in equity and empowerment policy frameworks, including training, mediation, coaching, and mentoring. Passionate advocate for diverse populations, with demonstrated commitment to social justice, developing empathy, and examining the development of “Us versus Them” attitudes.
Trainer: Curriculum Development, Workshop Instruction, Mentoring
- Designed and delivered intercultural and diversity education programs for adult learners using technology to deploy interactive, workshop-style training employing discussion, role-play, debates, and media. Topics included religious tolerance, anti-bullying, anti-racism, cross-cultural competency, immigration, culture & identity, and LGBT advocacy. (UNR)
- Mentored 200+ students/year, evaluating and providing constructive feedback on work product and performance. (UNR)
Change Agent: Public Speaking, Cross-cultural Competence, Advocacy and Policy Shaping
- Presented scholarly work on cross-cultural topics at national, international, and local conferences.
- Achieved measurable changes in participant mindset: 86% reported making changes in thinking, opinions, attitudes, and/or practices after completing the workshop. (UNR)
- Partnered with the Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada to promote legislation for protections in hiring, workplace, and education. (SPECTRUM)
Leader: Collaboration, Facilitation, Mediation
- Developed community partnerships to provide resources and drive initiatives in health education and legislation. (SPECTRUM)
- Facilitated discussions concerning organizational inclusion and smoothed schisms using listening and mediation skills. (CLOUT)
- Recognized and sought by fellow staff members to facilitate discussions and mediate conflict. Valued for ability to remain neutral while guiding parties to identify options, desired outcomes, and process. (UNR)
Program Manager: Strategic Visioning, Planning, Decision-making
- Led development of mission and goals to advance Gay and Lesbian presence in the community. (SPECTRUM)
- Instrumental in re-designing teacher education program to streamline and shorten the time to graduation while maintaining quality standards. (UNR)
Professional and Leadership Experience
University of Nevada, Reno – College of Education – Reno, NV | Teacher Education and Cultural Studies Professor 2000 – Present
Prepared aspiring teachers and service professionals with knowledge and strategies to address cultural differences in their workplace, including history and cultures of a variety of races and ethnic groups, cross-cultural skills, and empathy building.
- Earned highest-rated student evaluations of 9.0 on a 9-point scale each semester.
- Developed and taught a Cultural Capstone course “Education for a Changing World,” addressing culture, race and ethnicity, immigration, teaching to Hispanic students, religions, socioeconomic status, gender, sexuality, bullying, and human rights.
Christian Lesbians Out (CLOUT) | National Board Member 2006-2007
SPECTRUM Northern Nevada – Reno, NV | President 2004-2006
Led 300-member nonprofit dedicated to advancing LGBT rights and encouraging acceptance and communication through diversity education, community service, and social opportunities. Increased membership 20%.
Education and Training
Ph.D., Curriculum and Instruction, Equity, Culture, and Social Studies Education—University of Iowa
M.S., Curriculum and Instruction, Multicultural Education—University of Wisconsin, Madison
B.A., Secondary Education, Major in History, Minor in Political Science—University of Iowa
Intercultural Communication ♦ Latin American Culture, Spanish Summer Institute
Multicultural Women’s History ♦ Sexual Assault and Domestic Abuse Prevention
Working Against Racism ♦ Culturally–Competent Organizing and Social Change
Awards, Endowments and International Field Experience
Excellence in Teaching Nomination – University of Nevada, Reno 2014
Senior Scholar Faculty Mentor Award – University of Nevada, Reno 2004, 2006
- Selected by students as faculty member with most impact and influence.
U.S. Education delegation to Germany – Goethe Institut, University of Hamburg 2009
- Partnered with German educators to re-design holocaust education in German schools; co-operatively wrote pilot curriculum that was adopted by school district.
Northern Ireland Peace and Conflict Delegation—University of Coleraine 2002
- Collaborated with Irish educators to develop new curriculum policy for Irish students, grades K-12.
Yale Summer Institute – “Teaching about the New China” ♦ Yale Educators Tour to China
Mexico Archaeological Study Tour ♦ Land of the Navajo, academic field experience – University of New Mexico